

European Quidditch Congress Meeting

Date: 18th March 2018

Location: Skype voice

Meeting time: 21:00 CET

In attendance: Lena Mandahus - QAT, Ana Mercado - AQC, Niklas Müller - DQB, Stefan Scheurer - QIRE, Chula Bruggeling - QNL, John André Seem - NRF, David Mohamed - FQF, David Johnsson - SvQF, Matt Bateman - QUK

Absent: Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey

Apologies: Czech Republic

Chair: Felix Linsmeier

Acting Secretary: Chula Bruggeling

Agenda

1. Introduction
2. Roll Call
3. EQC 2018 status update
4. Liability action plan
5. IQA World Cup delayed budget release
6. EQC tier two update - link for questionnaire reagarding timeline
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVASQL1I-4YrKBTMiElksS1N-Z9M9s8i5DzdTOky-4oW_4Mg/viewform
7. Any other business.

Meeting starts: 21.15 CET

Felix: Chula will be taking minutes today.

EQC 2018 Status Update

Felix: EQC committee is about ready to post second version of tournament guide.

Contacting volunteers about accomodation next week. All non-playing volunteers will be able to get gym space. There would be space left over for players.

Team fee will be talked about in the next agenda point.

Most countries have met their referee quotas. Quota is not yet met by Italy and France, and haven't talked with Sally (Ref & Volunteer Manager) yet. Please get in contact or we'll have to resort to fines. This money would most likely go to the charity raffle pot.

Does anyone have any specific questions?

Matt: Are fines worth it, when many NGBs are struggling for money. Do we really need those referees that badly?

Felix: We're not necessarily very lacking on specific positions, but the quotas were put in for a reason. We're not super strict on the deadline, but we need to make .. We don't want to put gameplay [fines] on teams, so monetary fees were in the past decided on as the most suitable reaction.

Matt: I'm just not sure if monetary fines are the best reaction. Shouldn't this have been decided before, and not just announcing now after the fact? We're six weeks away from the tournament. I don't think we can suddenly do this. I understand people need to do their part, but if we don't really need those volunteers, I'm not sure it's worth it. Charity is great, but it doesn't really help us as a sport.

Felix: I tend to agree. If you do have suggestions-

Matt: I think it should be split over teams and NGBs.

Felix: We don't want to punish the specific teams. This was decided on by the committee a couple months ago. I don't think there necessarily needs to be a consequence. But I do think that since this committee agreed on having NGB quotas, then we as a committee also need to be committed to enforcing that quota. We're going to be working with NGBs so there shouldn't really be a need for going to the end fine. There's solutions that we can use, this is just the last consequence.

David (FQF): I heard France won't make the quota. You spoke about an emailing having been sent to NGBs, I didn't actually see any email about that.

Felix: If you could message me on Slack with your current working email and I'll make sure we'll send you a new email.

David (FQF): I'm quite sure we won't be able to make the quotas. Could we get a list to check which people have already volunteered.

Felix: Do you mean for France specifically, or all countries?

David (FQF): No, just France.

Felix: Yes, we can totally do that.

Chula: The Netherlands will probably vastly going over its quota, since we have such a low ref quota but quite an active volunteer pool. Can we as an NGB 'gift' some of those volunteers to another NGB that might be struggling? If it still means the same amount of volunteers as EQC as a whole.

Felix: I can't definitely agree with that at this moment, but we're certainly considering that.

John: There's some confusion about ref quotas vs volunteer quotas.

Felix: I'll make sure we check internally and clarify.

Matt: Where are we sourcing equipment from? Bluehawk was contacted-

Felix: I think that might be World Cup? EQC should be completely good in terms of equipment, because most of it is right here at my house.

Matt: My bad, you're correct.

Felix: In general, we're good on almost everything. Depending on how this tournament goes, we need to check quality, and we might need to get some new items in the near future. We probably need to replace basements in the next year or so, but we're expecting most items to go about five years.

Stefan: Slightly off topic, why is World Cup asking for hoops and things from Bluehawk if we already have these items as Europe? And didn't World Cup get Peterson hoops last time?

Felix: Peterson licenses hoops last time. I don't know the details because I wasn't part of the committee, but Peterson's licenses the hoops and took them with them. Some hoops after went to DQB as some sort of thank you for hosting.

I do know we specifically offered the World Cup to get an equipment loan once more, since that worked for European Games, but we've not heard back from them officially. So I'm not sure which information is more up to date [Matt or mine], but I talked with some of the committee who were potentially interested.

Stefan: Yeah, I just wanted to make sure World Cup isn't unnecessarily spending money on more equipment when there's plenty of equipment with us.

Felix: Yeah. I gave the committee a list of all the items we as Quidditch Europe have, so we'll see what comes from that.

Felix: Any other questions?

If you need anything from the committee specifically, you can contact info@eqc2018.org or find me on Slack.

Liability Action Plan

Felix: Next is our liability action plan. Some of this discussion will be regarding confidential information.

John: Motion to go into camera

Stefan: Seconded.

Lena Mandahus joins, 21.47

Chula: Motion to move out of camera.

John: Second

Delayed budget of World Cup

John: motion to move in camera

Lena: second

Lena: motion to move out of camera

John: second

EQC 2 Tier Update

Felix: I've not been involved over the past weeks very much, so I'll pass the word to someone in the subcommittee.

Stefan: We made a summary of feedback we got. It's linked in Skype. It's a google doc with a slide as summary, it lists the responses we got, but it doesn't necessarily have our responses/solutions yet. We just want to present the community feedback we've received, so everyone is aware. You can still comment for a while longer on this document.

Second, Felix asked for a timeline for planning, which can be found [here]. It outlines some milestones of things we need to decide. First in the next few weeks, we need to decide on the timeslot of D2 tournament. Which brings us to the next point on the timeline, where we need to figure out where the tournaments will fall in the calendar, so we can move on to bid packages after. Then next we need to decide on algorithm. Doing so before EQC would mean we aren't influenced by current results, but we could give ourselves a bit longer (until September) if we don't particularly mind that).

Next is deciding on preferences for locations for the different tournaments, as part of bid packages.

Also we need to look at the financial support that NGBs might be asked to help with volunteer recruitment.

Felix: I think the timeline is agreed, with the caveat that I do think the timeslot is the most rigid of these. I do think we definitely need to have that in time for EQC, because essentially we should advertise both divisions right after EQC with a lot of general coverage, and the hype still strong. Which I know to have made a good impact this year, with us doing a big advertisement run to submit bids for EQC immediately following the previous EQC, which I think led to the fact we had more contributions this year. So I think definitely by EQC time we should have the general timeslot sorted out.

Other than that, I think the others are more fluent, and the timeline is a bit more fluent, but I agree with the general ballpark figures.

Stefan: So we need to decide on a timeslot. We discussed in subcommittee and went in circles a bit, and we thought it would be good to get input from all NGBs, because we can't think for everyone, and that way it would be a whole committee issue. So the google form [link], we want to ask you for which dates would be best for you.

We've narrowed it down to two months. We thought EQC is in April, and clearly that seems to be the best date, so we'd like to leave D1 here. So then the second best timeslot, that's the question. We thought either March or May would work. So we wanted to have your input on which one you think are best. We've put some disadvantages and advantages for both in the document.

March has the advantage of hype and buildup, but has a higher risk of bad weather (cold, rain/snow). And EQC in 2017 was end of March, which seemed to work.

May would have the advantage of better weather, but it would be quite close to WC/EG dates. It's questionable if teams and volunteers would be able to go to both if they're so close together.

Other months were mostly not considered because there's either summer holidays, or currently national countries.

Felix: I do think regardless of which we choose, since we've decided to go for this kind of thing, we're essentially committing ourselves to some moving around. So regardless which timeslot we end up choosing for either tournament, the other one will have to move around a bit. So if we for example say- This EQC is really late (last weekend of April), while last year was really early (last weekend of March). We tend to have to specify a range of dates rather than a specific date, so we'll have to be doing some kind of moving around. If we say D2 March, then we have to specify ex March 15-April 15. And then D1 April 15-May 15.

But we're probably going to have to move a bit.

Chula: We're aware of the date range issue for bid packages, which is why we're asking for months and not weekends. But we could still give preferred weekends within a larger range as well.

Matt: We're actually restructuring the QUK season. EQCQ late Nov, our Dev Cup in March, and then BQC in April. So as QUK, we'd really like to push as late as possible for EQC. Even if EQC and WC/EG are close, people that want to go will go.

I think a lot of NGBs go until April/May for the end of the season, so March is kinda.. In the middle of stuff. From a selfish standpoint, March would be really bad for QUK, so we'd really like to push for May. It gives more time in general. So we'd really like to stress a May/June timing. I realise exams are a thing, but we've found particularly with restructuring QUK, no date is ideal. You're always going to be stepping on toes or being inconvenient for some people. There's going to be some outliers whatever you choose. So yeah, basically, we'd like it in May.

Chula: [explanation players and closer together - injuries and money]

Matt: I think there's always going to be a risk, we're playing a full contact sport. You could make the same argument why should players play BQC a month before EQC. I think the best thing we can do as Europe is decide on dates, and players are aware plenty of time in advance, players can make those decisions in advance. I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's not the most valid reasoning to not put it in May.

Chula: I just wanted to quickly point out that while I absolutely value Matt and QUK's opinion, and Matt's comment about it being a risk of playing, I do think it's important that, since D2 is mostly more developing regions, we specifically give them a chance to speak up and let us know whether they think it's important or not. If they feel it is, then we should listen, if they don't, I'll happily agree to put EQC in May.

Matt: I mean if that's the big issue, we could just put D2 in April and move D1 to May. But yeah, obviously do give developing regions the space and listen to their needs.

Stefan: Felix said he's open to moving EQC slot around a bit, and Matt just brought it up, maybe we should reconsider have EQC D1 in April without talking about that then. So I changed the form a bit, so now you can also vote on moving D1 a bit later, and just generally move stuff around a bit. So there's now more options, and I've changed the form.

Felix: I do think we're definitely looking at a range, and I think having a gap in between D1 and D2 is also really important. Summarising, I think we're probably looking at the March-May range for EQC D1 and D2. I think it's sensible to be mindful of EG/WC, but it shouldn't be the biggest consideration. If there's a somewhat reasonable gap, we should be doing ourselves a favor.

I agree we should have at least two weeks between D1 and D2. So no matter what we decide in the form, we'll make sure later that there's at least two weeks between the two events.

Stefan: So, you have the form, please make sure to fill it out before April 1.

Felix: Restate, action point: timeslot poll. Do you need anything else from us?

Chula: We've never officially agreed to go with two tiers next time. Should we.. do that?

Felix: Anyone with a strong case for or against a google form vote?

Chula: I think it's important for us as a committee to have clarity, so we can give clarity to the community as well.

Stefan: I just want to move forward. I don't think we need to wait until next meeting, we can just have a google form.

Felix: I'll put something up then sometime in the coming days. Any other comments/suggestions?

Lena: having an offline vote also allows those not able to attend meetings to have their voices heard, so in favour of a form for voting.

Chula: Secondary player policy is mostly done. There was some discussion about secondaries and movement within clubs, [explanation]. So secondary player policy without that is done, and can be voted on next meeting.

Matt: There was also something brought up about whether our transfer policies and secondary player policies also apply to those whose other NGBs aren't in Europe. So I don't want to discuss right now, but I wanted to bring it up. Are we looking at this? In which case, I suggest talking about this at a later date, post EQC, but just wanted to bring up the point.

Chula: I think you can argue it applies, because not playing in two countries at the same time doesn't specifically mention it needs to be two countries in Europe. But yes, probably good to look at more at a date where it's a bit quieter.

Felix: Mostly this transfer policy is to make it competitively fair, especially for EQC. We could make EQC very strict, but have NGBs be more lenient for local play.

So back to the secondary player policy, did you share it yet?

Chula: I'll be sharing it on Slack tonight, and then next meeting we can finish the last points - some time frames need to be decided on.

Felix: Okay, so look it over and comment away, and then we can vote next meeting.

Felix: Anyone have any other business for this meeting?

No other points.

Felix: Next meeting would be April 8. This will also be the last meeting before EQC. I'll be looking at the liability issue, which will then inform our planning in the next meeting. Depending on how this goes, we'll then have a look at planning something for EQC general meeting and how that goes.

End of meeting: 23.00